This is post #21 from the 30 Day Personal Finance Challenge: Boost Your Financial Health with a Daily Tip!
My dream (and goal) is to be financially independent. Tomorrow I start a special kind of test drive.
I am taking 6 months to travel, write this blog, take pictures, meet new people, jump from bridges, hike, swim, read, drive and work on awesome projects. I will define my schedule. I will choose my priorities and deadlines. This is how I imagine life after financial independence.
New frontiers of inner and outer richness – this is the name I gave it.
How it will feel, only time will show. Can I live without the structure of a 9-5 job? Will I run out of things to do? Will I get bored and start manufacturing fake problems? I have no idea! That’s why I am doing it.
Whatever your dream is, get a taste of it!
- Want to drive a Tesla someday – do a test drive!
- Want to write a book or a blog – write the first chapter/post!
- Want a house by the lake – rent one for the weekend!
- Want to open a bakery? Volunteer to help the personnel of an existing one!
- Want to have kids – babysit little ones in the family and among friends!
- Want to fly to Hawaii? Get a lonely planet guide, put your feet in the bathtub and feel the sand between your fingers.
- Want a super fit body? Find a picture of how your ideal body looks like and add your head on it.
- Want to take your family on a round-the-world trip? Start gathering ideas and writing down possible destinations.
Feel it, taste it, smell it!
There is something magical about taking your dream out for a drive. First of all, you will be able to spot the truth from fake dreams before you have invested too much time and energy. Save yourself the hustle and the bustle.
Many times what you imagined partially brings you joy but the rest is mega annoying. Try to sort out the frustrating bits and keep the good parts. Tailor your dream so it fits you.
If this is indeed your big dream, GO FOR IT! Feeling it even for a short period of time will take you one step further. It will energize you to continue pursuing it! Going through hurdles will not be so hard because you would have tasted the sweetness of the end victory.
So, what do you really want? From the bottom of your heart, since you were a kid kind of dream? I’m looking forward to hearing about it in the comments below!
Update, 1st May 2017:
Check out what happened half-way into the experiment: How Monday Became My Favourite Day
Update, 31st July 2017:
Check out my summary of the experiment: 6-Month Sabbatical: What to Expect