This is post #2 from the 30 Day Personal Finance Challenge: Boost Your Financial Health with a Daily Tip!
Now that you know where you stand financially by calculating your net worth, it is time to think about where you want to go from here. We human beings are mostly driven by our feelings. What we are aiming at is to connect to the kind of person and to the kind of feeling you want to have in 5 years from now.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What kind of person do I want to be in 5 years? How does it feel to be me?
- How do I look?
- How does my ideal day look like? Start from the moment you wake up and describe in detail how you feel, what you do, where you go, and whom you meet.
- How does my bank account look like?
- What have I invested in?
- What are my spending habits?
- Where do I live?
- Where have I traveled?
- What skills have I developed?
- Who are my friends?
- How does my family look like? Has it grown? Do I spend enough time with them?
- Which dreams have I made come true?
- Which annoying habits have I gotten rid of?
- What are my greatest achievements?
Once you have time traveled and met your future self, a few ideas and goals surely have crystallized. Use these 13 simple steps to get the concrete goals out of your head and heart. Make sure you stay connected to them. We all know how most new year resolutions fail. We are super excited about them at first. We don’t even write them down and 2 weeks into the new year they are forgotten. Only a slight feeling of guilt is there to remind us of the person we wanted to be.
This time it is going to be different – with your goals staring at you from your walls, you will stay connected to your vision. Start the day with a 5min dreaming session, imagine you have made it. Feel how success feels for you.
This is how you strengthen your dream muscle.
It will become stronger and stronger. You will be able to face all the doubts, obstacles and naysayers down the road.
And believe me – they will soon knock on your door as if they are trying you out – How strongly do you want this?!
You get extra points for sharing this with a friend, a.k.a an accountability partner. Set the exact date. Commit to yourself and them you will achieve this by this date. The more concrete, the better.